Pages

Friday, June 20, 2014

2 Awesome Ways to Make Bread Last!



I will be the first to admit that I try not to eat a whole lot of bread. It is my vice and it seems to really like my hips. So when I find myself buying loaves of French bread with the intentions of using it for sandwiches or making garlic bread I often have too much and end up wasting it or feeding it to the chickens. Maybe it is just me but I HATE wasting food so I discovered that bread can be saved and not only that; it is a great way to use those end pieces that no one likes to eat.




Bread crumbs:
For this recipe you will need sliced bread or a loaf of bread cut into slices. (can use any type of bread)
Preheat oven to 250*
Place slices on top oven rack (I put foil on the bottom rack to catch the crumbs)
Bake for 30 minutes or until slightly browned or no longer pliable.
Then crumble (I used a food processor)

As you can see, I stored mine in an old Panko tube and I had enough to fill two more jars. You can store the crumbs in jars or Tupperware.

Italian Style Croutons:
Preheat oven to 275*
Can use any type of bread cut into cubes
For this recipe the seasoning will coat about 6 slices of bread or one French Baguette
Mix:
5 Tbsp. Olive oil
1 Tbsp. Basil
1 Tbsp. Parsley
½ tsp. Thyme
½ tsp. Sea Salt
½ tsp. Pepper
Add cubed bread and stir to coat
Bake on cookie sheet or broiler pan for 20 minutes per side. Check for crispiness, additional time may be needed depending on the thickness of the cubes.
I like to use croutons in salads, casseroles, and just to snack on!


Share your resourceful tips here! What do you do to keep waste to a minimum? 

No comments:

Post a Comment